Sunday, June 3, 2012

For those of you who have taught art to children for at least a little while, you most likely have heard the words "vanilla" paper instead of "manila" paper. I happen to like "vanilla" paper better, and I don't bother to correct them. Vanilla paper seems to imply a good use of imagination and special quality to an otherwise ordinary, oft used material in the art classroom. I have seen some inventive, charming and  attractive drawings from my students using this paper in their "free time."  Many have handed me thoughtful drawings with special messages on this paper for me to keep.


     Which just reminds us that art is able to be made with any material in any way.  The artist makes the material become art. I constantly keep in mind that my job is not to make artists out of people, but to help them discover that they already are artists. And the best thing about teaching is witnessing students turn manila paper into Vanilla Paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment