I found the idea for the paper weaving here.
1. Cut white paper into 3 1/2 X 5 rectangles. Fold in half lengthwise and cut slits into paper at the fold an inch apart, stopping an inch from the sides.
2. Cut black paper into one inch strips to about 5 inches long to have a little excess length to make them easier to weave. They can be trimmed later.
3. Instruct students on how to weave. I did this project with 2nd gr. and for some, it took some practice. Here is a video to give them the general idea, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpzx7aQ4uDM though this video shows a more challenging procedure.
4. Trim excess black strips from weaving and glue lightly at the ends to secure.
5. Cut white strips of paper for legs, and glue onto weaving. Add hooves and tail.
6. Attach an oval head and draw details with marker and tiny bit of pink chalk. We used scrap printed paper for the ears.
7. There are different ways you can make the moon. We used metallic tag board.
8. Paint a small dowel rod black or white and attach to the back of the moon and cow.
These would make a nice wall display on a dark paper with stars on it